DH and I - oh so young college students
with Campus Crusade for Christ.
Definitely decided that summer that we were going to get married.
If you can survive and somewhat enjoy the following:
two-rock plav (rice dish - similar to pilaf)
daily food choices are from the one-rock plav place or the two-rock plav restaurant
multiple stomach bugs
nothing says romance like having to stop on the side of the road
and multiple other joys in between (read below!).
Marriage is a GOOD THING!
Anyway...
A 7 1/2 week mission trip
VERY interesting
Tashkent, UZ was much more
OPEN
and SAFE
than it is today unfortunately.
Some of the most amazing architecture is in
Samarkand
It was the center of Amir Timur's great empire.
These pictures I pulled from a couple of sites do not do the mosaic tilework justice.
My pictures are all film and my scanner isn't hooked up.
But it's simply gorgeous!



I've walked these steps!

I've eaten
(well, until we found maggots in the chicken - blegh!!!)
at that tower
(a rotating restaurant that we had to
bribe the elevator operator to allow us to go to)
and ridden on that ferris wheel with my Uzbek sister friends,
Nayima and Nazima.
It was quite an experience
one that I'll never forget.
Thanks for helping me relive a little!
2 comments:
COOL trip, but yuck on getting sick. I have had plenty of those "romantic" moments beside Scott. He married me and my terrible stomach ;)
I have never been outside of the USA ... someday.
What an AWESOME experience! The only 'out of the country' experiences I have had were in Mexico. Not really that big of a deal when you consider I grew up in a border town. In Youth group we did all our missionary work right 'next door'. LOL.
Post a Comment