Sunday, February 18, 2007

Choose your own adventure...

It just popped into my head during today's sermon

(and no,
embarassingly enough,
I can't remember exactly what our pastor said
that triggered this chain of memories...
but to my minimal credit
I do remember what the sermon was about...
just not what lead to me thinking about books
from my childhood)

Anyway...
there was a series called Choose Your Own Adventure
with these amazing stories
that YOU were the main character
and you get to choose
what happens at different points in the story:

You're in a cave and you come to a fork...
if you go to the right, turn to page 61
if you go to the left, turn to page 22

You get lost in a labyrinth of choices...
there always seemed to be the
"happily ever after" ending
and the
"get eaten by a scary monster" ending.

And if you are a typical kid,
after you've invested multiple hours in reading these stories
(or gotten abducted by aliens for the tenth time),
you start at the endings at some point and work your way back.

Here's some more detailed info on Wikipedia (speaking of places you can get lost):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

I think I'll be looking into these for {a}...
she loves being in control
and
likes adventure stories so I think they'd be right up her alley!

Actually,
I think I'll email my parents
and see if they still have my old ones...
that would be even BETTER!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL ... I remember those books. I never read them myself, but my little sister did. I would laugh because somehow her adventures would seem to end quickly. She loved those books, but I think it was because she could end her reading time sooner than a straight novel. My sister DID NOT LIKE TO READ ... LOL!

My Mom gave all of my books to my older sister and her boys. Needless to say, they were not readers and those books are long gone. My {E} would have devoured my books ... oh well.

Anonymous said...

I had TONS of these books, I loved them! I wish I still had them. I sold them on ebay quite a few years ago!

Thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I loved those too! I never thought about reading them to {p}, but I bet he would get a kick out of them!