Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Beside my bed...



What's beside my bed? It kind of struck me the other day what this might say about me...or not.

The basics:
alarm clock (ugh)
lamp
phone

The loved items:

The current stack of books/magazines

Grapes of Wrath
I've always wanted to read this one and even as an English Lit major, I never did. No better time than the present, eh?

Gilead
you know,
I should really give this one up.
I've not been able to get into it and {A} started reading it to me when I was in the hospital on bedrest in May 2002. Sad, but true. But I'm the kind of person that will finish reading a book out of respect, I guess. I just can't start it and not finish it.

Shantaram
Got it at Costco - was looking at it and a nice older gentleman said he enjoyed it, and so I bought it - I know, not necessarily the best reason to buy a book, but if I don't like it, it's like losing two mochas at Starbucks and I'll pass it along.

Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard
A very thought-provoking, challenging book recommended by {A} - a much bettter endorsement than the random guy at Costco!

Better Homes and Gardens
Atlantic Monthly

The wedding picture
For all the people who would stop by my desk and work and say
"Wow, you guys were young!"
I now see it.
11+ years later. :)

The handmade, handpainted round box from Uzbekistan that {A} bought me while we were there. It's got a neat painting of a couple on the top and lots of detail in the border areas...very neat!

Oh, and the Burt's Bees lip balm
love that stuff
although for me, the chapstick rates higher than the tub of balm.

Not sure what it all says about me (feel free to analyze - ha ha!), but there you have it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, that same issue of BH and G is on my nightstand too!

Anonymous said...

Love the photo ... very vintage looking!

My nightstand (although with different books) has many of the same things by it ... books, magazine, lamp, photo. My chapstick, handscream is in the top drawer.

I also have the same guilty feelings about starting a book ... even if it takes me forever to finish it. Like you said, it is a respect thing.

Anonymous said...

What a neat GLIMPSE into {t}! Hmmm~I don't have a nightside stand. What does that say about me?????? LOL.